- Alcoholic's Anonymous - a group that helps people recover from alcohol abuseMy boss has been going to AA meetings for over a year.
- Anno Domini - used to mark time that comes after the commonly accepted beginning of the Christian eraThe ancient city was founded in 125 AD.
- Annual General Meeting - the annual meeting of an organizationMy sister attended the AGM of the condominium owners last night.
- Artificial Intelligence - used for robots etc.Several professors at our university have been researching AI for many years.
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome - a disease of the immune systemRecently, the number of AIDS patients has been increasing rapidly in many countries.
- also known asWe went to see James Smith aka The Bulldozer wrestle.
- Amplitude Modulation - a type of radio frequencyWe do not listen to AM radio much because we do not like the songs that they play.
- Ante Meridiem - the Latin which means before noonI always get up at 7:00 AM.
- Any Other Business - used in meetings etc.The organizer of the meeting wrote AOB at the bottom of the meeting information sheet.
- great, doing wellThe man said that he was feeling AOK after the accident.
- All Point's Bulletin - used by the police when looking for a criminalThe police put out an APB on the man who robbed the bank.
- As Soon As PossibleI want to finish the first draft of the letter ASAP.
- automated teller machineI went to the ATM to get some money.
- Absent Without Leave - often used in the militaryThe military police were searching for the soldier who had gone AWOL.
- Bachelor of Arts - from a universityThe man received a BA in economics from his university.
B & B
- Bed and Breakfast - a small inn or hotel that serves breakfastMy sister wants to open a B & B when she quits her job.
B & E
- Break and Enter - a criminal act of breaking into a house or building to steal somethingWhen I was going to university there was a B & E in my apartment.
- Bacon and Lettuce and Tomato - a type of sandwichWe went into the restaurant and ordered a BLT sandwich.
- Body Odor - smell of sweat from the human bodyThe BO from the man in the elevator was very bad.
- Bullshit - lies or other information that is falseWe heard a lot of BS at the meeting last night which nobody believed.
- Bachelor of Science - from a universityMy cousin received a BSc in computer science from his university.
- Bring Your Own Bottle - used for a party or dinner where each person must bring something to drinkI decided to have a dinner party at my house and told everyone that it was BYOB.
- Chartered AccountantWe went to see a CA to get our income tax finished on time.
- send a copy to someone - cc means carbon copyI had to cc the email to my boss.
- Compact DiscCDs are becoming less popular now.
- Chief Executive OfficerMy uncle was the CEO of a large computer company.
- Chief Financial OfficerI have an appointment to meet the CFO of the company.
- Central Intelligence Agency - US spy and security organizationThe CIA was involved in the efforts to free the kidnapped air force pilot.
- Care Of - used when you want to send something to someone at the address of another personI did not know my friend's address so I sent a letter to him C/O another friend of ours.
- Cash On Delivery - used when a delivery person receives cash when they deliver somethingI decided to send away for some books and the company said that they would send them COD.
- Certified Public AccountantThe woman in our accounting department has been studying for her CPA exams for three months.
- district attorneyThe office of the DA will make a statement about the murder soon.
- Do-It-YourselfI went to a DIY store and bought the materials to build a bed.
- Disc JockeyMy cousin worked in the summer as a disc jockey while he was going to university.
- Deoxyribonucleic Acid - the main constituent of the chromosomes of all organismsMy university has spent a lot of money in the study of DNA.
- Driving Under the InfluenceThe man was sent to jail for several months on a charge of DUI.
- Digital Video DiscThe sales of DVDs is increasing every year.
- Electrocardiogram - an electronic test of a person's heartMy father was asked to take an ECG by his doctor.
- Exempli Gratia - the Latin which means for exampleThe company has many factories around the world - e.g. Italy, Mexico, Thailand and Korea.
- Emergency Room - the place in a hospital which deals with emergency situationsThe victims of the accident were taken to the ER.
- English as a Second LanguageThe ESL classes at the college have been offered for almost ten years now.
- Extrasensory PerceptionThe movie was about a young boy who had the ability of ESP.
- Estimated Time of Arrival"What will your ETA be when you return home next month?"
- frequently asked questionsThe website had much information in the FAQ section.
- Federal Bureau of InvestigationThe killers were found in a nationwide search by the FBI.
- Frequency Modulation - a type of radio signalThe radio station that we listen to regularly is an FM station.
- For Your InformationI wrote FYI on the information bulletin and sent it to the other members of the staff.
- Government Issue - stamped on US military equipment - GI is also used to mean a US soldierThe man went to the store and bought a GI Joe doll for his son.
- Greenwich Mean Time - Greenwich is a place in England which is used as the standard for time around the worldThe rocket will be launched at 10:00 AM tomorrow GMT.
- Gross National Product - the total value of goods and services produced by a country in one yearThe GNP of the small country has been decreasing for several years.
- General Practitioner - a general doctorI went to see a GP when I broke my leg last summer.
- Human Immunodeficiency VirusThe rate of HIV infection among drug users is very high.
- health maintenance organizationThe man had to speak to his HMO about his medical bills.
- HeadquartersThe HQ of our company is located in a small town.
- Human Resources (Department)I must talk to HR about the mistake on my pay check.
- id est - from Latin with the meaning of "that is to say" or "in other words"The meeting starts at 8:00 PM - i.e. we cannot be late.
- International Monetary Fund - an international agency that works to stabilize currencies etc.The IMF imposed very strict currency guidelines that many people were opposed to.
- I Owe You - a signed paper stating that you promise to pay a debtI gave my friend an IOU when I bought his television.
- Intelligence Quotient - a measure of a person's intelligenceThe IQ of the new student is very high.
- Justice of the Peace (a person in the court/justice system who can do some minor duties and perform marriages etc.)The young couple went to a JP when they decided to get married.
- KnockoutThe boxer won the match in the fifth round by a KO.
- Bachelor of LawsMy cousin received his LLB and will begin to practice law soon.
- Long-Playing RecordRecently, LP records are becoming more popular.
- Liquid Petroleum GasThe truck carrying LPG was in an accident on the highway last night.
- Master of ArtsMy cousin's wife has recently decided to study for her MA in economics.
- Master of CeremoniesMy cousin was the MC for my sister's wedding.
- Doctor of MedicineThe woman received her MD when she was 26 years old and has been practicing medicine since then.
- Missing In ActionThere are several MIA soldiers in the small country.
- modus operandi - the way that a person worksThe MO of the criminal was very difficult to understand.
- Member of Parliament - used in the United Kingdom and Canada etc.There were several MPs at the restaurant where we had dinner.
- MPEG-1 audio layer 3 - a method to compress digital audioThe students listened to their MP3 players as they worked in the computer lab.
- Master of ScienceThe woman has an MSc in computer science and she found a job easily.
- not applicable (often found on a survey or questionnaire)I wrote down N/A for many questions on the survey.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration - the US space organizationAccording to a spokesperson for NASA the rocket will be launched next week.
- North Atlantic Treaty OrganizationThe members of NATO are gathering for an important meeting next month in Brussels.
- Nota Bene - Latin for take notice or note wellOur teacher told us to memorize the information in our text that is marked NB.
- National Rifle AssociationThe NRA had a big meeting recently.
- Old Age PensionerAt first, I thought that I could get the OAP discount. Later, I realized it was for senior citizens only.
- Organization of African UnityThe OAU is working very hard to promote free trade between its various countries.
- or best offerThe piano is being sold for $300 obo.
- Overdose - on drugsThe man died because of a drug OD.
- Operating Room - in a hospitalBefore entering the OR the doctors carefully washed their hands.
- overtimeI have to work some OT this weekend.
- Public Address (System)Every morning the children listened to the latest school information over the PA.
- Politically Correct - language that is not harmful or insulting to othersThe university has a policy that says that all material published in the school newspaper must be PC.
- Personal ComputerThe PC industry has been growing rapidly in recent years.
- Physical EducationMy P.E. class was held indoors during the winter months.
- Doctor of PhilosophyAfter receiving his Phd in history my friend got a job at a university.
- Please Leave On - used when you want to leave something on a blackboard or whiteboardAlthough the teacher wrote PLO on the blackboard, the information was erased during the lunch break.
- Post Meridiem - Latin for after noonThe meeting started at exactly 1:00 PM.
- post officeI went to the PO to get a package.
- Prisoner of WarThe negotiations regarding POWs continued for many years after the Vietnam war.
- Public RelationsWith good PR the politician was able to gain the support of many people.
- Postscript - written at the end of a letter when you want to add some extra informationAfter finishing the letter, I wrote PS to include something very important that I had forgotten.
- Parent-Teacher AssociationWe got home late last night after attending our son's PTA meeting.
- Please Turn Over - written on a piece of paper to tell someone to look at the other sideI wrote PTO on the letter to make sure that my friend looked at the other side.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police - Canada's national police forceThe movie was about the RCMP and it took place in northern Canada.
- Requiescat In Pace (from the Latin) or Rest In Peace- used when talking about someone who is dead and sometimes written on a gravestoneAt the end of the movie RIP was written on the gravestone of the character who had been killed.
- registered nurseMy aunt is an RN.
- Repondez S'il Vous Plait - the French which means please replyThe invitation said RSVP so I sent a note to say that I would attend the party.
- Son Of a Bitch - a swear word used in anger or when you want to insult someoneThe man called me a SOB when I drove in front of him in the parking lot.
- this does not refer to any words but is the international code (Morse code) that is used as a signal of distress, a call for helpThe sinking ship sent out an SOS signal but nobody came to their rescue.
- Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to AnimalsThe man called the SPCA to tell them about the poor treatment of the dog.
- Teaching AssistantAfter leaving university, my friend was able to get a job as a TA at the junior college.
- TuberculosisThe number of TB cases has been increasing around the world recently.
- To Be Announced - used when something will be announced at a later timeI looked in the television guide to see what the 7:00 movie would be but it said TBA.
- Thank Goodness It's FridayThe restaurant has a large TGIF sign on the door and all drinks are half price.
- Technical KnockoutThe boxer won the fight with a TKO.
- Tender Loving CareWith lots of TLC the house plants did very well under my sister's care.
- Toilet PaperI went to the store to buy some TP.
- Unidentified Flying ObjectThe number of UFO sightings has increased dramatically recently.
- United Parcel ServiceMy friend will send the package by UPS.
- Ultraviolet - a type of light rayWe used sunscreen in order to protect ourselves from UV rays.
- Video Cassette RecorderThe electronics store does not sell VCR's anymore.
- Video Display UnitThe VDU was beginning to cause problems with my eyes so I went to an eye doctor.
- Very High FrequencyThe television was not working because of a problem with the VHF connection.
- Very Important PersonThe football player was given the VIP treatment when he visited his hometown.
- Vice PresidentAfter serving as vice president for many years the man was appointed company president.
- Video Tape RecorderThe VTR in the classroom was missing because someone was using it for a meeting.
- Water Closet - toiletWhen we entered the park we went directly to the sign that said WC.
- Young Men's Christian AssociationThe English classes at the YMCA were recommended to the students last year.
- Young Women's Christian AssociationMy friend stayed at the YWCA when she visited New York City last summer.